Quite possibly the very best walking socks ever
I have a new love in my life – 1000 Mile socks!
I’ve done a fair bit of walking. My first job was as a Countryside Ranger, then Pennine Way Manager, and for the past 10+ years I’ve been running Walk Unlimited. Throughout that time I could bore you with tales of the best boots I’ve owned, the best waterproofs, but until now I never had a good sock story.
I have always been prone to blisters, and have tried pretty much everything but never found the solution. In my last post on blisters I extolled the virtues of Vibram 5 Fingers toe socks – and I still love them, but they are thin and while brilliant for short summer walks they don’t provide enough cushioning for a full day out.
I tried a couple of pairs of 1000 Mile Double Layer socks (the All Terrain sock and Fusion Walking sock) while deciding whether to stock them in the shop – and that was it – love at first outing! So, what’s so good about them?
- They have a double layer construction. The inner layer is the key to reducing blisters – it reduces friction and wicks away moisture to keep your feet dry.
- The cushioning is perfect – in all the right places to support and cushion your foot.
- There are top and side vents to allow air to move.
- They are wonderfully comfortable.
- Key for me – they are not tight across my toes.
- I have washed them several times (in the washing machine at 30 degrees) and they come out looking as good as new.
Having decided we definitely should stock them I also gave the single layer Walk Socks a try – I was a bit wary having enjoyed the double layer socks, but these are also brilliant. They cushion your feet and are amazingly comfortable – and of course not a blister in sight.
And it isn’t just me that thinks these are great socks. The company are so confident in their product that they offer a money back guarantee if you get blisters while wearing the double layer socks, or the socks wear out within the first year or 1000 miles. That is pretty amazing!
1000 mile socks – which ones are right for you?
It can be daunting looking at all the options for walking socks – they all seem so technical, which ones are the right ones for you?
Check out our handy guide to help you choose.